Sunday, March 3, 2013

making sweet potato ravioli

So this weekend's cooking project was instigated by bestie in Oz. She showed her sweet potato ravioli off back in January and I was sufficiently impressed and gung ho to try it out. She Whatsapp-ed our group board the recipe which I'll now upload right here.....


I'm not sure from which recipe book she got this from and I will ask her if I remember and update this post when I do. Anywho, I only got around to make it since, a) I wasn't too keen on having to hand mash the sweet potato because of my crap kitchen blender b) ingredients are just hard to find here in Workland. I didn't get no chives nor sage so as usual, turned to Best-Friend-Google for alternatives. Found this page that is really helpful. So, of course, no chives and actually, I didn't have any scallions either but I read on another blog that freshly chopped parsley would also mimic the chives taste. Though apparently, there is no true substitute for chives flavour :) Since I had no sage and the alternative was thyme which I usually have but didn't this time, I just used more parsley. It didn't hurt at all. Plus, my wanton wrapper was spinach-based so I was already improvising the recipe. The results.....

The finished ravioli artfully coupled with the chopped walnuts


Plated presentation of finished product. Yes, I may have drizzled more than the required amount of butter, hehe. Plus, I also seasoned with hints of lemon juice, a dash of garlic pepper, a pinch of paprika and sprinkle of parmesan :D It tasted great!


And lastly, what the inside of said ravioli looks like. Yes, I could not mash the whole thing smooth, I got tired to get all the chunks out. I liked it all the same :)


Okay, I'll be honest, these pics are actually of today's attempt. When I made this on Saturday, I totally effed up cooking the ravioli. I had the heat on too high and I left it in too long so the end result was a gooey, destroyed mess. I visited Google to find out where I went wrong and now I am sufficiently educated on the hows of cooking ravioli. I'll just put a reminder to myself here: DO NOT cook it like normal pasta! Once it rises to the top, it's done! It does not need 8-12 minutes, m'kay? Also, once the water is up to boiling point, turn the heat down, then only place the ravioli in, DO NOT CROWD. Keep heat low so water is at a simmer at most.

So, to conclude, making ravioli isn't as difficult as I thought it would be. I know that using the wrappers helped make the whole process less prone to disaster but as a beginner, I feel that it was a really good first try to go this way. Perhaps, when I've had a few ravioli dishes under my belt, I'll give making my own ravioli dough a go. Maybe. If I'm not too lazy which I'm wont to be :D