Saturday, January 17, 2009

getting creative with clothes


Organizing my closet, I came upon this brown Old Navy mid-calf length skirt I had not worn for ages. Perhaps I had tired it out when I first got it, wearing it to work countless times and that's why it was sitting at the back of my dresser for so long. I took it out and giving it an appraisal, thought I should come up with new ways I could rework this sedate brown skirt into my current wardrobe. Its sensible length and its earth tone made it great for office wear but I was trying to think outside the box and transform it into something more dressy.

And the key word being dressy, I had a lightbulb moment. It could easily be converted into a knee-length tube dress! After that the ideas kept rolling and I practically spent away a whole Saturday afternoon just mix and matching, playing dress up (I don't know about any other women in their twenties but playing around with clothes never gets old for me), cultivating my inner stylist. And to my delight I believe I hit upon some inspired ensembles and captured pics of my 3 best combinations.


My first choice for best of the rest is as a simple tube dress. Because of the length of the skirt, when it is brought up to chest level, the hemline falls to just above the knee, not too short and not too prim. Accessorizing with the belt under the bustline gives the converted tube dress character, working with the neutral solid colour of the skirt and making it look jazzy. It becomes a sexy yet simple night out with the girls outfit. Completely clubbing/dance floor ready.

Next in line was a high-waisted skirt and floral tee combination. Firstly, I put on this pretty brown floral tee newly purchased from H&M. Still hiking up the top of the skirt to chest level but on top and over the tee and by folding the top down and securing with a thin belt underneath the folded area, adding an elasticized belt over the area where the t-shirt and skirt are joined, and ta-daa, we get this completely cute day outfit. Wear it while having brunch al fresco or go window-shopping at the mall, perhaps it could qualify even as a cute fourth date outfit to let the personality shine through a bit more.

Lastly, an update to office wear. Still working the tube dress angle but as the workplace isn't for dressing too casual/provocative, pairing it with the black long-sleeved Mossimo boyfriend cardigan I got from Target. By layering the cardigan over the top of the converted skirt and finishing it off with the same belt from the first outfit to tie the two pieces together (I also pinned a small brooch right in between my breastbone which is covered up by the belt), we now have a pretty, fashionable and office appropriate dress. The look is chic and still professional. I love how it gives the illusion of a layered full skirt. Unfortunately, since being posted here, my daily office attire actually consists of the company polo tee and depending on the day, if there are meetings, black pants, if not, jeans. It's pretty much casual when you are away from HQ. So basically, if I want to look overdressed and out of place for work, I could wear this ensemble.

I don't deny it, I love clothes. The thrill of buying new clothes is always great but what also gives me great satisfaction is when I take a tired piece from my cupboard and am able to breathe new life into it. Hey, my fashion style may not be for everybody and it could very well be that I'm the only person who thinks I look good in them but as long as the outfit makes me feel good, other people's thoughts don't bother me.