Wednesday, January 21, 2009

i have a question.....

When a person who doesn't drink any alcohol or take drugs, recreational or otherwise, and therefore can't claim being high or intoxicated as an excuse, how do they explain away embarassingly awkward but enthusiastic dancing at formal functions?

Therein lies my dilemma. I went to my colleague, flea mart expert, sisters' wedding last night and ended up for the better part of the reception being invited/dragged to dance by members of my team (we expats stick together- largely due to the fact that we can't really speak the local language to save us) whereby I came to realize none of us really knows how to bust a move. There was some sideways shuffle (mainly courtesy of moi), some finger pointing, some chicken head impersonations, quite a bit of the twist, a dash of dj spinning, a lot of hip twirling (I did not really want to find out how limber some of my male team members are), some 'raise the roof' action, some efforts to go low, the 'riding in my cadillac' as well as 'cranking my motorbike' move (we stopped short of going all Soulja Boy) and an abysmal attempt to chacha (yes, that was me, unfortunately).

Now it wouldn't be so bad if the evening's fun and festivities end up a fond and slightly fuzzy memory in my mind, replayed in a version to my satisfaction, but I had one rogue colleague videotaping our none too graceful dancing (he has multiple videos from various moments in the evening and is busy laughing himself silly right now watching the 'action'). And to top it off, I distinctly remember a videographer hired for the event, sticking his camera in my face during my chachacha escapade.

*Sigh* will the night's red-face moments ever subside? To be honest, despite the day-after hindsight, it was a great night full of mirth, plenty of drinking (non-alcoholic and otherwise), excellent food and exuberant dancing all around. Altogether, one of the most enjoyable local weddings I've been invited to and I'm happy I could contribute towards the wedding video by providing the bride and groom with some laughs. Or perhaps it'd be grimaces of embarassment on my behalf? Oooh, a thought just occurred to me, that 's even if my shots make the cut, I could very well end up on the editing floor :D One can only hope can't they? Now if only I can figure out how to get to those videos and all other copies my 'think he's hilarious' colleague has.....