Saturday, July 31, 2010

playing dress up

Is a favourite pastime of mine. As is evident from multiple posts on this blog. Since I was lacking in ideas for post subjects and was in the mood to up the count for July, I thought I'd just do a frivolous pictorial-based post on some of my new stuff. Well, mostly new paired with some already worn stuff. Excuse the dark pics, I don't particularly have great lighting and I seem to like to do this nighttime so.....


The first pic in the collage is of a five dollar dress I got during my work trip at the beginning of the month. It was after dinner and we were taking a walk along this street market and I came upon this stall. Thought the dress was really cute. I'm not really a fan of the mid-calf length but I liked the pattern enough to not let it bother me too much. And for 5 bucks, I'm not complaining. I cinched the waist with a corset-style belt to give it a bit of a harder contrast to the feminine pattern.

The next pic is me wearing the first maxi dress I ever bought after the whole maxi dress explosion in 2008. I paired it with one of my new slub cardies/faux blazer, the charcoal grey one. Since the dress is poufy and the cardie is shapeless, I put on the elastic belt to cinch in the waistline and give the outfit a bit of shape.

It's summer and every summer, tie-dyed pieces are de riguer. I do have a tie dyed strapless maxi in turquoise but I thought I'd get this one cos it's a different style. I have to say I got to wear this one sans bra since the sides/underarm is basically exposed. It's truly fine since the dress has built-in cups but I'm not really one for over-exposing my skin so I decided to cover up with a white tank inside, give myself no chance to be cited for indecent exposure :) I love this dress and I find it truly flattering. Plus, the compliments I got when I wore this two weeks ago on casual Friday didn't hurt.

Next up, we have a long beige overcoat-style cardie I got at one of the factory outlet stores in Bandung, Indonesia during the company trip. Since it's of a slightly thicker material and it's been hot, hot, hot these past few weeks. I actually have not had the opportunity to wear this out. But I did come up with a work appropriate ensemble when it is time to take this out for its public debut.

Then we have some of my online purchases. That's the beloved Just Cavalli clutch from Gilt that I paired with my f21 Relevant Military Vest and Newport News sheer tunic blouse. I absolutely adore each and every piece. I can't even pick a fave outta the three cos each one is just spectacular in its own right.

The tunic is cut in the most flattering of styles. Sometimes tunics can make you look shapeless but this one has a little cinch just under the arms before flaring out and stopping just below the butt. The designers truly got things on the money with this blouse.

Looking at the close-up of the vest, I really can't believe I paid 18 bucks overall for this. Now, F21 is cheap dispensable fashion but the workmanship on this vest astounds me. It's good. And I really think it's a great piece that transcends the military fashion phase.

And my clutch. All I have to say is that I truly love it. I love the colour, the construction, the lavendar lining. The length of the chain is perfect and the size of the clutch is just right for holding sans chain. It was definitely 119 bucks well spent. I can't wait to go for my friend's reception and show this off. It's just so cute!