Tuesday, June 30, 2009

new pilots for next year?

I knew there was a reason I'm still on my imposed F1 news blackout. The F1 community is rife with reports that Ferrari will announce at least one driver change for the 2010 season regardless where they end up racing.

The rumours have been swirling for the past 3 years or so about a Fernando Alonso and Ferrari partnership. Considering that Santander, which is a Spanish company, has signed on as a main Ferrari sponsor for next year, the rumours appear to have some merit. The person who is supposed to make way for the incoming former world champion is apparently still undecided. Kimi has been linked with retirement at the end of this season so the best bet would be him. I don't know and at this point of the season, I can't seem to muster up enough emotions to care. Ok, I'm lying. I'm trying very hard to remain clam. The prospect of no Kimi is devastating to me. Not under these circumstances anyway. But it might all be true since he seems to be making a very public debut in rallying. He's done three rallies thus far and will be competing in another one in his home country, Finland, at the end of July. Does this spell the end of Kimi in F1 and Ferrari? I really don't know.

The rumour mill has also churned out that Seb Vettel, who is currently driving for Red Bull Racing, is being poached by Ferrari. I can see how they do want him but I don't believe that he'll be in the red jumpsuit by next year. Ferrari will most likely retain at least one of their current drivers for next year's lineup.

That's all the latest F1 news I could muster before my heart got sick with the thought. Sigh. I'm feeling F1 is a terribly emotional burden that I might not want to bear any longer.