Saturday, June 27, 2009

thongs and mary janes to make you fit

This post isn't about that particular style of undies nor about someone named Mary Jane. Instead, I'm talking about shoe styles.

Shoe technology has come a long way since its creation. Shoes are no longer worn simply to protect your feet when walking. Nowadays, shoes play an important role in women's lives. Some would even go as far as to say that wearing the perfect pair of shoes can make the crappiest of days seem alright.

I can somewhat attest to this. Last year, during my hols in the States in August, I brought 2 pairs of footwear with me: a pair of suede booties and my Chocolate/Cotto Cyprus Crocs. And I suffered greatly. Our trip started in San Francisco. I actually went down Lombard Street in my 3 inch Crocs. Crazy or what? I thought that they would provide me with style and comfort. I was somewhat wrong. The straps rubbed against my upper foot and left me with a scar that I can still see to this day. My feet woes lasted till Atlantic City where I did the smartest thing ever and got myself a 99 cents, made in china, pair of purple flip flops. I couldn't be happier.

Which brings me to this post. I'm planning my Europe trip wardrobe, shoes are of utmost priority here. Since the trip will take place in the height of autumn, I need a pair of shoes that will provide me comfort AND style. I still refuse to compromise on the style. For goodness sake, I'll be in Paris, the city of fashion. I can't go looking like a ruffian. It'll be completely shameful. Anyways, I already have one pair of shoes that are definitely going with me: my White Stag knee-high black boots that I got from Wal-Mart for USD5. I'm thinking of the other pair I want to bring and can't seem to find anything in my current collection which would qualify.

I was sifting through June's Cosmopolitan when I came across a Skechers ad promoting their "Shape Ups" sneakers. What they are:

"Shape Ups design promotes weight loss and tones muscles. Simulates walking barefoot on a yielding surface such as sand. Made out of firm polyurethane frame that supports and stabilizes the foot. The Kinetic Wedge super soft foam midsole designed to absorb shock and provide exercising effect1 1/2 inch midsole height at highest point in center. Its specially sculpted rubber outsole for natural propulsion.

Shape Ups also increases your muscle activity level, relieves pressure on joints and tendons and boosts your metabolism level resulting in increased calorie burn."

Shoes that exercise you? Do they really work? Well, to be honest, I do own a pair of these supposed fitness footwear. I own a pair of FitFlop Classic Walkstar thong sandals in black. As far as I can tell, on the occasions I do get to wear them, they do make me tired after. But considering I can't even decisively give a yay or nay on the fitness properties of FitFlops, I am iffy on the idea of fitness footwear. They are of course all on the pricey side. My FitFlops, bought in London, were a pricey USD72 or so. For thong sandals.


But I'm not anything if not fair. I wouldn't mind giving fitness footwear another go if the price is right. That's why I am looking at the Skechers Women's Physical Mary Jane Fitness Shoe. I like the idea of getting extra exercise on vacation. I know my Paris trip will involve pastries galore and the UK will be a fish and chippies extravaganza. So the concept of walking and being exercised at the same time really appeals. And Skechers is a well-known footwear company. The pair in question cost in the region of $99.95 - $105.00.


Which is more affordable than the other pair I had been looking at from MBT (Masai Barefoot Technology). I believe this company pioneered the fitness footwear industry. Apparently, the shoes are supposed to simulate your feet walking barefoot on springy moss or on a sandy beach as this creates a natural instability underfoot, which activates the supporting muscle system and has positive effects on the entire body. But the price range of between $224.80 to $249.95 is something I balk at. What with the whole uncertainty of the technology actually working for me. The pair I like is similar to the Skechers pair and is called the MBT Women's Lami Casual Sport Mary Jane.


Whatever it is. I have a few months more to come to a decision. Perhaps I will go in a completely different direction.