Friday, June 19, 2009

leading nominee for (unexpected) civil war of 2009 category is.....

When I first decided to start blogging, I never realized that I would actually end up documenting, for my personal archives, the possible demise of the one sport I actually love to follow.

Yea, not exactly global changing stuff, it's simply infighting between the FIA and FOTA (Formula One Teams Assocition). The big manufacturers and the sports governing body is at an impasse. After many months of squabbling, the situation came to a head on Thursday night when FOTA made a press release to announce the creation of a breakaway series parallel to F1. The months of discussions and meetings resulted in zero headway and both parties were not able to reach a consensus on the future rules and regulations for the coming season and beyond and this, unfortunately, has led to the divide.

With a breakaway series, all the big teams including Ferrari, Mclaren, BMW, Brawn, Red Bull and all others excluding the privateer teams Williams and Force India, will start racing in an alternative "Formula 1". That means no more Kimi, Fernando, Lewis or Jenson. Most of these drivers are contracted to their teams for 2010 and so far they have all stood united with their teams in leaving the pinnacle of auto racing competition to race the breakaway series being set up.

Of course, the media has jumped all over this. Quotes form drivers have been broadcast left and right. Being one of the main players in the sport, Kimi has obviously had to give quite a number of statements in regards to the ongoing conflict. I have to say, he seems like a really PR savvy guy. He has, like Felipe, continuously stood behind his employers but at the same time he has managed to convey his disappointment at a potential breakup with F1. Most others, namely Fernando Alonso, seems to be quite ready to forget F1 and move on to the "bigger and better" series. I don't particularly think its smart of him to so publicly be dismissive of the sport that brought him worldwide recognition on top of the 2 drivers championship he won but to each his own.

Talks are still underway. Many who are observing the ongoings are confident the "rebel" teams will eventully come to race for the F1 banner in 2010. I'm not going to lay down any particular thoughts on my own. I just want to see Kimi drive. If its in F1, ok, rally, I'll follow, alternative F1, I'll watch. My allegiance lies with the driver. I go where he goes.