Tuesday, April 27, 2010

at this point, even i acknowledge the ridiculousness

.....but I've resigned myself. There's just no point in talking to me about it so I'll just let me be (:D I do realize the craziness that is that whole intro!).

I just purchased another bag. Yes, that's right, I just bought another bag. That's 6 in the past 4 months. And I haven't even received the F+C Mid City tote at my US addy yet.

So, I get the sheer absurdity of my shopping habits. I acknowledge them. I will not make excuses about them. I see something I like, I get it. That's the mantra for this year. To give myself whatever I feel like giving. It's the year of living frivolously after all!

Anywho, this latest shopping expedition gave me a lightbulb moment. I came to realize that my spending almost always correlates with an attempt to help someone find something. My friends and family come to me for online shopping predicaments and I try to help them out by pointing them in the right direction. Then, more often than not, I'll end up getting sucked into buying something that I saw and just must totally have.

In this latest shopping excursion, I was rooting around some girl's blog for my sister who wanted to know about Shopbop's international shipping experience. I had read last year about this girl who got a Rebecca Minkoff MA Mini from Shopbop and had it delivered to Malaysia where she had to pay customs tax of 10% off of the total cost. I found said post and forwarded it to my sister. Then I made the mistake of lingering.

Now, if you enjoy shopping too much like me, don't linger. N-E-V-E-R L-In-G-E-R! Not at blog posts about shopping nor online retail sites. If you continue browsing then you'll get drawn to something. If you're not in the market for anything, this can spell disaster. Invariably, you'll end up with something. I lingered, I browsed, I read and I saw. And that's how I ended up with a RuMe ALL reusable bag in black.


Just paid for my brand spanking new environmentally friendly tote and the seller will have it shipped to my homeland home tomorrow. Paid a total of $28.73 inclusive of shipping charges. Online on the RuMe site, it's selling for $26.95. I got it off of an affiliated website. It's called Tiny Tapir and it's just the cutest place I've been to in recent times. It's a Malaysia based site selling eco friendly products for those interested in being more green. The site mainly serves as a baby store but also has items like the RuMe line. The RuMe ALL is retailing for RM89 on the site and after conversion it costs $27.90. Less than a buck of difference from the US-based official RuMe site. And postage and handling is decidedly cheaper since it's being shipped within the region. Yes, international shipping is available. Take a page out of Tiny Tapir's book US-based web sites! Expand your shopping horizons and I can guarantee you'll earn more money!

Ok, enough about US sites that don't ship internationally, let's get back on track with the fabulosity of the RuMe ALL. I decided to get this because I feel I'm in dire need of a spiffy reusable shopping bag. One that does not have a gaping open mouth in which sticky fingered people can reach in and grab something. I was tired from walking around clutching my eco friendly bags to my body as if they were glued to me. And my mum has something similar to this and it's come in handy on numerous occasions. I wanted one of my own. The RuMe ALL is described as.....

".....a fabulous bag that is the perfect compact bag - use it when shopping (the zip top is a great convenience), use it in the office when you need a spare bag for those last minute files, use it in the gym (the elastic top side pockets are great for water bottles, the zipper front pouch is perfect for your iphone and toiletries), use it as a super lightweight diaper bag - there's hardly anywhere you CAN'T use this bag

Pop a few in your suitcase when you're travelling and you're set for a bag to match your every outfit!

The velvet handles keep the bag comfortably on your shoulder and minimize slip-sliding or scrunching up of the handles - the flatter the handles sit on your shoulder, the better weight is distributed, and the lighter your bag feels."



Below are the specifications for the RuMe ALL reusable bag:

• three exterior pockets for bottles, keys, cell phones and MP3 players
• weighs only three ounces
• individual bag size 15.5” x 11” x 4&rdquo
• zip top closure
• padded non-slip shoulder straps
• handles are 12” long
• holds up to 50lbs
• water resistant/machine washable
• double bound seams
• square sides and bottom
• made in South Korea, Fair Trade Factory

My main reason to buying this was to store all my shopping during my Indonesia trip in 2 weeks. It's functional and roomy and easy to take care off. I like that it's water resistant it has a zip top closure. The fact that it can hold up to an incredible 50lbs weight is such a huge bonus. I love that, for such a huge bag, it can be rolled up quite tiny and stuffed into a small hobo without taking up too much space. I also like that it is part of a Fair Trade programme.

I see myself using this as more than a carrier for my shopping though. I am looking for a new work bag and this will do nicely. My old Miu Miu inspired bag has ripped :(. I'm hoping this will provide as a longer-lasting alternative. I can't wait to get this and use it for the company retreat! I can already see my SIGG water bottle sitting in the outside elastic pocket and my beautiful portafoglio and N97 sitting in the zippered pouch in front :P I'm a proud bag-a-holic, I make no excuses for having so many!