Sunday, April 4, 2010

crossing the finish line

What did I manage to take from the Malaysia GP 2010 this weekend? That I miss Kimi Raikkonen in F1 so, so, so, so, sooooooo very much. And to a much lesser degree, I realized that I love the sport too much to not watch the races.

I'm going to start following the racedays again. I won't go all Kimi-crazy and watch the qualis as well cos I find I like the whole being surprised by who's on pole and the whole starting grid shakedown.

I missed the first 2 races although I did just google the winners after the fact, finding that Alonso won in the first GP of the season in Bahrain and Jenson was first in Albert Park. Looking at the results of the first two races, it would appear as if its a battle between the 2 giants again, Ferrari vs McLaren. However, I don't believe its actually indicative of the favourites for this years championship. Ferrari test at Sakir every year and have a great advantage there and Melbourne is always an unpredictable race and will deliver unexpected results.

From the race in Sepang, I actually feel Red Bull will be on form this year again. I'd bet on Seb Vettel to win the championship this year. He's looking hungry for it and I would love it if he did win what with his great relationship with Kimi and all. Seb Vettel drove with conviction and I was ecstatic on his win. I loved how I was just yelling for various drivers; Schumi, Nico, Heikki, Jarno, Seb and Lewis. I enjoyed the feeling that I didn't have anything to lose in this race.

Our seats were great. We sat at the South Tower and were able to see two stretches of the racetrack which gave us double the action. I was the first to spot Schumi's unfortunate early retirement due to the wheel nut coming off of his car. He even waved to the grandstand crowd as he was taken back to the pits on the back of a motorcycle. I fancy that he personally saw our enthusiastic group wearing his t-shirt and waved at us as a sign of acknowledgement. We saw the retirement of one of the Renaults and at the end, Nico, Heikki/Jarno (couldn't really tell who), Seb and my personal fave Lewis waved to the crowds and I'm hoping to me as well (yes, yes, I'm nutty that way). Well, the story I've been telling is that Lewis, who was minding his own business trying to pick up debris for car weightage, saw my enthusiastic waving and lifted his hand as acknowledgement.

Anyways, although I thoroughly enjoyed my second time at a live race, it did not detract from my missing Kimi and his driving. He was still on my mind this weekend as Kimster was in Jordan for the third stage in the WRC and incredibly he has managed to score his first four WRC championship points in only his third outing which is a big deal. He finally completed all three days and finished eigth overall for this leg. I'm so elated for him as apparently the Jordan Rally is the most technically challenging circuit for Rally drivers and to be able to place in this race proves he's the maestro of four wheels that I've always known he is. I hope he does even better in the next stage. I also enjoyed watching him dress up in gladiator garb for Red Bull promotional appearance. He doesn't participate like that in F1, avoids it like the plague, in fact, so I thought it was really cute of him to be so willing to put on the outfit.

Ok, off to relive magical Kimi F1 moments. Am watching the 2007 Belgium GP that I just finished downloading :)

UPDATE:
Is it crazy that I had tears in my eyes as I was watching the Belgium race? I was missing the Kimi action so much that I found my eyes welling up. I think that's crazy and I bet you do too.