Thursday, July 30, 2009

four world champions on one racing track?

By all accounts, Felipe Massa seems to be recovering well. However, it is widely believed his season is over this year. So, who do Ferrari put in to replace him and partner Kimi in the sister Ferrari. Well, their third driver Marc Gene would be a logical choice. Also their other test driver Luca Badoer would be up there on the list as well. Fernando Alonso's name has been bandied about for a one off race at Valencia since Renault were banned a race for the careless tyre change incident but I've always thought this implausible. Robert Kubica, and even Sebastian Vettel's name also seemed to be in the mix. See, how fanciful F1 fans can be?

But, Ferrari have granted the wish of many. Kimi's new partner for the rest of the season will be none other than Michael Schumacher! Well, I'm happy to see him drive again. I hope it will make Kimi bring his A-Game. I mean, do you really wanna suck next to Schumi. At his retirement press conference in '06, Schumi had inferred that he did not want to partner the incoming Finn. After the '07 season, I guess Schumi has seen that Kimi seems like no threat to his legacy so has happily signed up to race alongside him :)

So, Kimi Raikkonen, my darling, let's not embarass ourselves. Let's get back to the magic of McLaren days Kimi Raikkonen. You're gonna be up against a seven times world champion, you've been runner-up to him once before. Do you really wanna play second fiddle again? Perhaps this is the motivation you need to get your ass further into gear. I mean, the Hungarian GP was a fantastic start but the bar has truly been raised now. Enough with letting all those other sub-par drivers show you up.

In actuality, I'm really excited to see this new pairing. Curious to know how things would work. I don't believe there has been a world champion-world champion pairing in recent years, if ever. So, it'll be interesting to see how things fit in between the two of them. Even my eldest sis called me early this morning to say that she will be back on the F1 bandwagon because of Schumi's return. Plus, FOUR world champions on the grid! I dunno if that's EVER happened before! Can't wait for Valencia, the 2 and a half weeks can't pass quickly enough :D