Tuesday, July 21, 2009

it's official

My sister will be wed by December so.....

CONGRATULATIONS SIS!

.....of course, since no one knows this blog, she won't exactly know I've been offering her my heartiest (albeit slightly insincere) felicitations.

Yea, so I'm slightly (ok, really) skeptical about the whole thing but whatever makes you happy, Sis. If you feel that by marrying the guy you will be able to save his soul from wandering further down the path of destruction so go on and be his superhero. I did not come up with that on my own, her words may not have been as poetic as mine but she did say "Maybe I'm meant to save him". Forget the fact that she previously did not believe in that kind of thing. I mean, I strongly believe that change that doesn't begin with one's own desire will never be lasting but apparently, you Sis, have some magical powers that will make ANY change lasting evermore. I will not voice any objections, nor will I bring up any of the numerous subtly man-hating lectures you have serenaded me with at numerous points in my life. I guess a leopard can change its spots. And in this instance, I'm not talking about him.

I sound bitter? Well, yes, a part of me is. I can't believe that after all is said and done that she would jump into this so recklessly. Maybe I need to purge myself of all that she's said to me and just keep a more open mind to the whole idea. I have been praying to God Almighty every day since to allow me to accept this turn of events in a gracious and sincere manner. It's barely working. I uhhm-ed and ooh-ed along with all the plans she's put together thus far while talking on the phone to her yesterday but at the same time I could not stop the tears from rolling down my face. I covered it up well enough, she didn't notice but I felt bad for myself that I can't embrace this news with all the sincerity and joy it deserves. C'mon, I'm in a real dilemma. She called yesterday to ask me to be her bridesmaid. I said "Sure, just as long as everything is paid for". What kind of a sentiment is that? Luckily for me, it was something I had already said earlier when we were discussing her hypothetically accepting the proposal so it didn't faze her or anything.

I suppose I could have shown a little bit more enthusiasm instead of the pragmatic way I pooh-poohed some of her ideas and suggested improvements on the ones I felt could work better. For example, we were discussing engagement rings and she said she would have liked to get a Tiffany cut classic engagement ring but her "fiance`" wanted to buy her a ring with an emerald setting because it's syombolic of his name. Yea, his name in my native language means emerald. What I should have said was something along the lines of how sweet it was. Instead, I was quiet for 2 seconds, asked her why emerald and after she explained the name connection (which I should have figured out on my own) I said, "Oh ok. Well, yea, I get it. Geez, all that symbolic romantic crap just flew over my head". She reacted quite ambivalent towards my comment. I'm not sure if she took offense or not. I did say I thought he should spring for a Harry Winston micropave` diamond engagement ring. I also agreed that one of her gifts should be a Chanel 2.55 small purse. She also wanted a pair of Christian Louboutin but I steered her towards Jimmy Choo, more classier. Btw, if anyone was wondering, yes, it's a free ride all the way. From flight tix to clothes and whatever else in between.

Why am I so against this? Why am I so resistant? I have looked within myself but can't seem to come up with a satisfactory answer to tip me in any direction. Perhaps, if I can wrangle that Tiffany 18K bead bracelet as a bridesmaids prezzie, I will have a change of attitude. Bless my lil materialistic heart. Would the price of a Tiffany bracelet buy me off? We'll have to wait and see.....here's hoping I get said bracelet :P Slightly evil, I know, but a pretty trinket (and especially if it comes in a nice light blue box) will definitely help towards the softening of betrayal and resentment.

And one way or another, I have managed to make a post announcing my sister's impending doom, ooh sorry, nuptials (din mean that, reflexively slipped out while typing) to be all about my unfathomable feelings on the whole idea. I'm so selfish. Then again, it's my blog and I'll post what I want to.