Friday, July 31, 2009

narrow it down

I've been given a shopping decree. My boss is headed for the States to spend time with his family residing there next month and has granted me one purchase that he will willingly lug back for me.

Since he offered, I, of course, accepted and have been trawling the net, compiling a list of items I can only get from the good ol' US of A. I've come up with a few but can't seem to commit my list.


I've been searching Overstock.com for sunglasses and have found a few Diors, Guccis and Marc Jacobs for choice prices. But considering I am in love with my sister's Oliver Peoples Sofiane, I dunno if I should forgo going the sunnies route. I mean I really want to buy a Sofiane but US prices are, well, pricey. My sis got hers for about USD250. Most sites retail for USD390. I can't justify spending USD140 more even if those specs make anyone who were 'em look sooooo damn good. Plus with some of the choices on Overstock.com going as low as 99 bucks for a pair of designer sunnies, can I really overlook all those fine options and hold out for some Olivers?


I've also been on Shopbop.com's newly redesigned site and I have to say, the revamp gets thumbs up from me. Here I'm lusting over 3 items; the Foley+Corinna Smooth Mid City tote in gold retailing for USD222, the black Foley+Corinna Disco City Bag that goes for USD198 and the Rebecca Minkoff Morning-After-Bag Mini in Pale Bronze at the sale price of USD297.50. If I really had to choose I'd get the RM MAB Mini and the F+C Disco City. I think it would be well worth the money to invest in those 2 pieces. I just love the thought of the gold Mid City tote but I dunno if it would gel with me. I mean the colour appears quite striking in the site photos. Anyways, getting the Disco City and the MAB would only set me back $495.50. Which is a pretty great deal considering these are two IT bags. My one Mulberry set me back over 550 dollars. I can get 2 gorgeous yet functional bags for less than 500 bucks inclusive of free shipping.


But I hesitate still. Although I've coveted both the RM MAB and the F+C Mid City, I just can't bring myself to get either as yet. Why? Cos of the upcoming Europe trip. I don't want to buy these bags and then later on head to Europe and find myself salivating over an YSL/LV/Burberry/Mulberry/Anya Hindmarch piece and finding myself short on the cash. So, I'm still debating. Perhaps I might just go for the F+C DIsco bag only as it's within a price range I can manage while still allowing me to save for the trip. Although, in my hearts of hearts, I really do want the RM MAB Mini.


I've also been looking at watches. Specifically this Michael Kors Goldtone Chronograph Oversized watch that I've been coveting since before my US trip last year. Yes, I've actually been looking at this watch since a year ago. But I still can't commit to it. Why? Cos it's USD250 and I don't care if its gold-plated but I cannot afford to throw down that much for a watch. I suppress my longing for it by telling myself my trusty 10 year old Tag Heur is still ticking along merrily so I should not want for another. I mean I got other, comparatively, cheaper watches from Fossil but I always go back to "The Tag". I do so love that Michael Kors watch though. It's just not going on sale and that bums me out.

So I'm stuck. I want to buy something on the pricier side. Something non-Target. Something I won't be able to get anywhere else but the States. But I can't seem to commit. I keep thinking about the Europe trip. Afraid to spend my money now only to find something better in England or Paris. And therefore, in the end, I just don't know what to get. I don't want this to go by as a wasted oppurtunity but I just can't seem to think of anything. I'm leaning heavily towards one of the bags but we'll just have to see. I sense that I'll end up with somethng Target bought ;P