Sunday, July 12, 2009

times when being late is good

When birthday presents are involved. Although, traditionally, getting birthday prezzies on and around your birthday is the way things are done, it's not such a bad thing to get belated birthday gifts either.

I'll be getting a very lovely package from the online beauty haven, Strawberrynet, come the end of the month. Filled with fantastic Benefit goodies. Yup, Strawberrynet now stocks Benefit products and I couldn't be more ecstatic. Of course, not everything in their line is available but the ones I wanted were and that's what I asked my 4 best girlfriends to get me for my birthday.

So I will receive, one Benefit Play Sticks Cream To Powder Foundation in shade Paper Dolls, one Benefit foundation brush and one Benefit High Brow pencil. Since the site is touted as a discount perfume, makeup and skincare store, the prices are lower than the retail prices in stores. Normally, the recommended retail price of the Play Sticks foundation is USD34 but the site's selling at USD29. The foundation brush also has a 20% discount and is going for USD16 instead of its usual price of USD20. The High Brow pencil, which purports to give the illusion of a higher brow (non-surgical brow lift so to speak), is also being sold at USD16 from USD20. That's a savings of USD13!


The only essential item from the 3 above is the foundation brush. I figured I needed to add a proper foundation brush to my collection instead of relying on foundation sponges that seem to crumble within 2 uses. This will be my first foray into Benefit brushes as my current collection all comes from the Too Faced Teddy Bear brush set.

I wanted to get the stick foundation because it would be great for travel. And the fact that it's touted as a 3-in-1 (foundation, concealer and powder) doesn't hurt as well. Coming back from my company retreat, my liquid foundation (Non Fiction by Benefit) spilled in my makeup bag. Although the spillage was quite negligible, and was caused by my own negligence (neglected to screw the cap on properly), I didn't want to take the risk of more wastage of my precious foundation and figured a solid stick would solve my problems (thought I'd make a play at how many times I can use the variations of neglect). I read the reviews for Benefit's Play Sticks and the general consensus is very positive. Based on the colour swatches, I decided to go for Paper Dolls as it appears to be the closest shade to my volume 4 of Non Fiction. The image of Play Sticks in the piccie above is a misleadingly skinny concealer width tube which is due to me resizing the original image to fit the collage but in actuality, the tube is slightly plumper than depicted.

Last but not least, I wanted the High Brow pencil just for the heck of it. I don't need any lifting in that area but I figured I could play around with the pencil and see how it affects a look. That's the whole point of prezzies, you can ask for things that you don't need but just want for fun. I've heard great things about the brow lifting pencil and the brows are my least played up feature as I have no idea what to do with them. I'm the girl whose eyebrows have remained untouched since birth. I don't do plucking, threading or any sort of filling in with a brow pencil. I figure the best way to initiate myself into the wide world of brow accoutrements was with the relatively mild brow lifting pencil. It's just drawing a line underneath your natural brow line, I can't possibly mess that up could I?

So, a very big THANKS! to my girls who have generously come together to buy me these lovely, LOVELY beauty products. MUAHS!

UPDATE:
Paid for and on its way! I love online shopping and I love belated birthday prezzies!