Wednesday, August 12, 2009

and then there were 2.....

Formula 1 world champions.....in Valencia anyways. Looks like there will be no Schumi comeback at the European GP on this coming August 23rd. Well, I'm sure the tickets to the event, which was feared to be a flop due to Fernando Alonso's Renault team being banned for a race, had sold an impressive amount because of the whole Schumi stepping in for Felipe thing. But now, reports say that he won't be driving in Felipe's stead because of a neck injury incurred back in February has apparently not healed properly. And since he has not been in an F1 car for the past 2 years or so, it's not advisable for him to be driving competitively in one if he isn't 100% fit.

I'm pretty sure the people who had gotten tix to see the great Schumi comeback are somewhat pissed now that they essentially got conned into making it to an event that would otherwise be dull. I mean, the Schumi effect even had my sister interested in following F1 again. She was asking me about the racing schedule this past weekend. Looks like all the excitement has been premature :P Oh well, I'll of course still be tuning in. I don't care as much about the Schumi return, nor do I care that Fernando Alonso will miss out on what is essentially a home drive for him. As long as Kimi Raikkonen is on the grid, I'll be watching. Do well Kimster, show your detractors that you still have the drive!