Friday, August 28, 2009

i covet....these tops from Dorothy Perkins

I remember back when we were living in the UK and Dorothy Perkins was this not-so-hip clothing store. Now (I dunno if they have always been under the same management as Topshop cos I certainly don't remember there being a Topshop in the days of yore), they have some of the chicest clothing around and at a more affordabl price than its more famous high-street counterparts.

I was just browsing around the site. I'll be going back home in 2 weeks or so and thought I might have a look around, see if there's anything interesting. And I fell in love with the four pieces below. I'm a lover of tunics and dresses that can come off as tunics. I also realize that I have more of a preppy bohemian taste in clothes. I actually have no idea if preppy bohemian is a category but that's what most of the clothes in my closet are like; it's either retro or it's like I'm from boarding school.


Anyway, the general range of prices is about GBP25. I'm especially attracted to the paisley purple tunic because it reminds me of the Matthew Williamson for H&M peacock tunic which I really coveted but was damn pricey and unless you live in Sweden/Norway where the brand comes from, it's difficult to buy H&M online. But I'm a firm believer in getting the alternative if the real thing is out of reach and I think this tunic fills the criteria.

Another piece that grabbed me instantly was the grey cap-sleeved tunic with beading. I think it's got this twenties vibe to it and it's an era I'm quite into after completing Sophie Kinsella's "Twenties Girl". How she described the outfits from those times was amazing and I could imagine all these little frocks with gorgeous details swanning about London. So, to allow myself a lil feel of that, I think this beaded tunic will do just great!

I also fell in love on sight with the beige/ecru frock with the ruffle detail on the hem. I think this is part preppy and part romantic-esque. The top half is just no nonsense pintuck detail around the bodice area but the hem lends the dress this fanciful quality with two rows of ruffles. I can see myself gallivanting around in my leggings and knee-high boots and my black vest. There is a possibility of a thigh-enhancing effect with the ruffles being where they are but until I see myself in it in person, I will still love it.

And last but not least, the 2-in-1 cardi/shirt. It's a striped shirt with a cardi over it and those are two staples in my cupboard. Put together as one and I think it's a winner. But serously, I love all stripey tops and I love cardies so when I saw this I just felt I had to have it.

So, it looks like I'll be making my way to Dorothy Perkins this trip home. I hope they'll be having a sale but even if they don't, I have my members' card that offeres me 10% discounts on normal priced merchandise. Crossed fingers these pieces will be in stock!