Monday, August 10, 2009

reading.....How To Teach Filthy Rich Girls or otherwise known as Privileged

So now I've finished reading the book that inspired the television series Privileged.....and I have to say, as per usual, the original triumphs over the rework. Don't get me wrong, I loved the series, it was cutesy and far-fetched and full of fun fashion. The book, however, is ALL that and more. PLUS, I simply adored the dynamics between book Lily and Meghan more than tv Lily and Meghan. The tv siblings were too much drama. I basically loved the characters as portrayed in the book rather than in the series. Even the main protagonist wasn't as irritating as Joanna Garcia's Meghan. I mean some of the "woe is me" of the self-suffering Meghan Smith is a bit much to take in both the book and its tube equivalent but the book Meghan comes off less grating than its counterpart. I also adored the twist at the end when we find out who Debra turns out to be in the grand scheme of things. Basically, she is the catalyst that sets all things in motion.

The storytelling isn't all perfect, though the premise is great. Zoey Dean's writing, while conveying the overall young-ish tone did fall flat in certain places. It came across as her trying to hard to be a teen. I don't know if the experience is the same for anyone else but for me there were parts where eyerolls did occur. All in all, a good fluffy read that I enjoyed. Kept me paging through till the end :)