Sunday, August 23, 2009

reading.....Meg Cabot's Airhead

I have mentioned my embarassing afinity to read young adult fare even though, as I've mentioned before, I am pushing the ceiling of mid-twenties. I can't help it. Sometimes, I need the frivolousness of teen stories to offset the realities of adulthood. It brings me back to days when life was simpler and emotions were less manipulated.

That's why I'm a huge fan of Meg Cabot. I was first introduced to Meg Cabot through the teen story "All- AMerican Girl". I didn't realize it was a young adult book, all I was thinking was I needed one more book to complete the Borders "3-for-2" deal. I chose it because of the cute sky blue cover. Like I've also mentioned before, I'm a complete sucker for cutesy packaging.

Anyways, thus began my love affair with Meg Cabot's style of writing. From that book on, I started collecting her work. I own all of her books save for the "Princess" and "Mediator" series (and I don't plan on getting them, gotta draw the line somewhere). Meg Cabot doesn't just write teen books but she has quite a handful of adult contemporary fiction as well. Ok, we'll call a spade, a spade. Handful of chick lit titles. Which are just as engaging and definitely rank high on my list of great chick lit books. But my guilty pleasures are her teen books.

I just completed one of her latest efforts called "Airhead". The story of how one young girl's brain is transplanted into the body of a similarly young supermodel after both happen to suffer "fatal" injuries on the same day, at the same time in the same place. Ok, seems not so much on the light side (taking more than a little walk on the ridiculous) but her storytelling is airy (hehehe) enough that it's an enjoyable read. I found myself smiling at the reactions of this newly merged person when it came to her interactions with the opposite sex.

So put simply, yes, it's a teen-centric book, very much the target audience are young adults. However, if you're a twenty-something just wanting to read something frivolous to take your mind off REAL LIFE, pick this book up, I don't believe you'll regret it ;D