Tuesday, August 11, 2009

fear no more

I realized today that, sometimes, revisiting youthful endeavours is an exercise in futility. I'm all for reading young adult books but there are some authors whom I used to read as a teen that I just don't seem to enjoy as an adult.

I used to have more morbid tastes in literary reads. I was a huge fan of Christopher Pike novels. I have no idea why the gruesome tales of murder and other worldly happenings gave me such joy to read about. I haven't touched a Christopher Pike book in years so I can't say if I would still feel as intrigued by his tales as I did way back when.

I did, however, revisit works from another teen horror author that I used to read. R.L. Stine. I didn't covet his books as much as Christopher Pike's but considering his repertoire is twice as large as Pike's sometimes, one just had to fill in the time between Pike's releases and R.L. Stine did the trick.

My eBook obsession led me to finding a coupla books by the author and I was quite pleased with the discovery and promptly downloaded them. However, after getting to the end of one book, I found the story insipid, annoying and completely lacking in decent storytelling. It's kinda disappointing to come to such a revelation after all these years, that books I used to read with such fervent devotion comes across as such shoddy reading now that I'm at this age.

The question is though; are the books truly uninspired drivel OR have I just simply outgrown them? I don't seem to mind reading Meg Cabot's teen fare, in fact I usually find myself giggling at the teen protaganists in her books and admonishing my silly twittery. So it's not the teenage content that has me annoyed. Or maybe, in terms of this genre, I should just start reading more mature horror fare, like from Stephen King for instance. R.L. Stine is just not cutting it no more. I'm more horrified at the insipid storytelling than I am at the actual horror in the story.