Sunday, August 16, 2009

jewels in my eyes

I've never been much of a jewelry person. The only accessories I wear on a daily basis is the platinum diamond earrings my dad got for me for my graduation from university, the gold necklace with alphabet locket my mum got for all three of her daughters, a slim gold chain necklace and my Tag Heur watch given by my eldest sis as a gift for doing well on my country's SAT equivalent. These pieces have satisfied me and I have never felt the need to add more. Until now. I've been obsessively scouring Tiffany's website for the past 2 and a half weeks. I have suddenly been overcome by a desire to buy myself a pretty little trinket that comes in a bright blue box.

I've been looking at different types of jewelry, from rings to pendants to charms and bracelets. I have a few in which I would definitely love to get like the Tiffany Signature™ ring in 18K gold, the Elsa Peretti® Full Heart ring with a diamond in sterling silver and the Return to Tiffany™ mini round tag in 18k gold on a bead bracelet. I feel like I should get a ring or bracelet because it's these two accessories that I don't own in a precious metal.

I've never bought any precious metal jewelry for myself before, save for some silver, and figured my first venture should come from a reputable jeweler with a classic range that transcends age. Of course, since it'll be my first foray, I don't want to go extravagant so the pieces I've been looking at are below USD1000. I prefer to get a gold piece rather than silver and have my heart quite set on the 18K yellow gold Tiffany Signature™ ring, the Tiffany Somerset™ ring in 18k gold; narrow, Tiffany Cushion ring in 18k gold, Frank Gehry® Torque ring in 18k black gold; narrow, Frank Gehry® Torque ring in 18k gold; narrow, Three-row band ring in 18k gold, Return to Tiffany™ mini round tag in 18k gold on a bead bracelet, Tiffany Hearts® heart and key bracelet in 18k gold, Tiffany Beads earrings in 18k gold, Frank Gehry® Torque hoop earrings in 18k gold; extra small and the Tiffany Cushion earrings in 18k gold.

Ok, so it isn't much of a narrowing down as I made it sound but at least I'm confident I want a yellow gold 18K piece. And from the choices I've listed, my first priority is a solid gold ring. I'm not too much into the diamonds. Firstly, I would only get a diamond piece if I can afford a decent carat, cut, clarity, etc. Secondly, I'll reserve a diamond purchase for a special occasion. Right now, it's just about getting myself something pretty just for the heck of it.