Tuesday, August 25, 2009

watching.....FRINGE


I love J.J. Abrams. He brings to the small screen the wierdest tv shows. Ones that just surpasses anything I could ever begin to imagine. When LOST debuted, it was a colossal hit. And now, he brings to the masses, FRINGE.

I guess FRINGE is more in the vein of The X-Files. Government organization that investigates the abnormal. In this case, we have FBI Agent Olivia Dunham who is basically in charge of investigating cases related to fringe science, things that simply just baffles the mind. Incidences soooo out of the realm of what is perceived as normal or reality that it can only be true. Huh? Ok, I was trying to make it sound too cool there and ended up a bit confused. Whatever.

Funnily enough, apart from one particular episode of The X-Files where a tattoo comes to life and makes the guy whose arm she's on murder people, I wasn't much into the show. But FRINGE here, that's a completely different story! I LOVE IT! I love Walter Bishop, I like Peter Bishop (sometimes his, "That's my father, ladies & gentleman" bit irks, he does it too often), Agent Farnsworth is cute, I find Charlie attractive and Olivia is great as the agent with a tortured soul.

And the cases! Man! A guy who morphs into some kind of porcupine hybrid, skin melting conditions, rapid skin regeneration that closes all open orifices on the body leading to suffocation, frankenstein animals, teleportation, portals to parallel universes that can slice you in half if you don't cross in time. And the list goes on and on. The whole thing is just simply weird, freaky but completely wonderful. It took me 3 days to complete a FRINGE marathon

It's just really caught me. And with LOST ending this upcoming season, well, there's that opening for a new show to come aboard and what better gig than another J.J. Abrams creation to fill in the spot? The only thing I could possibly niggle at is the fact that they have used a LOST sound bite for Fringe as well. I'm all for recycling but you can't take a clip that is distinctive to another TV show and put it on a new show and not have people realize you're making the clip pull double duty. C'mon, come up with a new one :)