Wednesday, August 12, 2009

they've definitely won THIS battle.....

Battle of the sequels, that is. I was excited when the first "Night At The Museum" came out. Stories like that feed my imagination, I find it intriguing when inanimate things can come to life. Ok, yea, so I like the thought that objects can mysteriously be brought to life via an ancient Egyptian tablet. It's just totally cool! If only it were true.

Anyways, I watched the first movie and somehow came away feeling less than satisfied. I have to give credit where credit is due though. The trailer was cut to perfection. Every clip put together was just right to lure the masses to the cinemas. It was the actual execution of the movie that left me vaguely disappointed. I mean, on a whole, completely enjoyable but lacking that extra something.

And then a sequel was announced. I was ambivalent. Wasn't going to get my hopes high for the second effort. I watched the trailer during a viewing of "Monsters vs Aliens" and like its predecessor, the trailer looked mighty great. I mean, considering most sequels do not live up to the original release, I hedged my bets that I would not enjoy the second movie as much as the first.

I'm happy to say, I would have lost that bet. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the sequel. "Night At The Museum: Battle At The Smithsonian" was all the first movie should have been and more. It ticked every criteria. Perhaps, it's my love for Hank Azria's comedic chops but I believe he takes on the bulk of the credit for the movie's success. I mean, to undertake multiple roles and succeed in ALL of them, that just shows what a great character actor Hank is, right?

And kudos as well to the rest of the cast for a job well done on all fronts :). I especially found the cupids tres` amusing and was really surprised to find that they were voiced by the brothers called Jonas. All in all, a definite must watch for 2009.