Monday, February 15, 2010

the year of the tiger sucks!

What is it with 2010? The year is starting off on a bad note for the people around me. My sis got robbed in January and this morning we found out my colleague's place was broken into and he had USD1000 worth of stuff stolen from him.

The scary thing is he lives above me. No, it's not the unrequited love colleague, my company puts up us staff in one building. It's the one I sold my E61i to. Which was a casualty of said robbery. I feel really bad and sad for him because it could not have happened to a nicer guy. He's always really sweet and helpful and just a really good guy all around and to have this kind of thing happening to someone like him just makes me feel disappointed in the karmic retribution of the world at large.

But I believe everything in life is already written and so was this incident. I also believe, if you are willing to let go of the possessions you lost sincerely, God will reward you for it in the future. These kind of happenings are tests. A test to see how you cope when faced with difficulties.

Besides the smartphone, he lost some cash, his netbook (which I had helped purchase for him from Homeland) and a digital camera. We're guessing the thief/thieves scaled the wall and pried open the window to his bedroom. His netbook and phone were on his nightstand while the digital camera was in his wardrobe.

What we can be grateful for is that he came to no harm. He was asleep in the room when it happened and didn't wake up which is a blessing because God only knows what could have happened if he had awaken during the time the robbery took place. We believe it was sometime during one am to four o'clock in the morning. He awoke himself at about 5 and was reaching to switch off his phone alarm but when he could not feel it nor his netbook, bells started ringing in his head and he immediately got up.

The other good thing we can be thankful for is that he managed to get back all the contents of his wallet (minus the cash) and the wallet itself. I live on the floor below and was about to lock up to go for work when I spotted a small mountain of what looked like name cards and passport sized photos on the balcony. I opened the door and went out and, you can imagine my shock, when I found his stuff out there. His ATM cards was one of the abandoned items.

Sigh. This is just horrible. It's awful that so many disastrous things are going on. I can only hope that things get better all around from this point on.