Tuesday, February 2, 2010

i totally get the hype

And I'm back in the Workland. It's been a hectic coupla days, all rushed and filled with activity. Like I mentioned in the previous post, going to the cinema to watch Avatar was on the agenda. Even weeks after its release date, the movie is selling out at every screening. My sis barely managed to snag four tix on Sunday for the 3D version. Our seats were second row from the screen but it wasn't too bad.

Ok, so I had no clue whatsoever what I would be watching when I sat in the theatre waiting for the movie to start. All I knew was Sam Worthington was the main male lead and there were some kind of blue people tribe called Na'vi. Oh, and it's a James Cameron movie. I never understood the hype of Titanic which is why I went into the cinema with no expectations whatsoever.

And I was completely wowed! I love it when that happens, when something completely blows me away. There's only one other movie that managed to leave me feeling the same way and that's Peter Jackson's Lord of The Rings: Fellowship of The Ring. Now, that was a movie I went 4 times to watch. But back to Avatar, the storytelling was superb. L-O-V-E-D IT! Although the one point that I felt could have been done in a better way was Michelle Rodriguez's heli-pilot scene where her bird has already been hit and she knew she was gonna go down. I felt that if she was already resigned to her fate, she should have piloted her heli into the aircraft carrying the explosives. My sis felt that she should have been given a chance to eject. But we can only comment :)

Another thing I need to get off my chest is the fact that John Sully's avatar looked nothing like John Sully but instead looked like a blue-skinned Rob Pattinson. And I'm not the only one who thought this. My cousin, who had gone to watch the movie when it first came out, and I were talking about the awesomeness of the movie and when I made that observation, he completely flipped and said he had thought the same as well.

Anyways, it's simply amazing how James Cameron and co managed to create this completely different yet extremely believable whole other world. The vision to build this new civilization is just incredible though I feel that the Omaticaya clan is modeled upon some indigenous African tribe. I'm most impressed with the creation of a whole new language.

Zoe Saldana's portrayal of Neytiri is also a big part of why I love this movie. I felt she really embodied the essence of this person who's so attuned to her surroundings/nature. I would say that she's my favourite character of the movie.

Bottom line: Worth every single dollar it's grossed!